These scones are super easy to make and as they are basically just sweet dough, you can add any toppings to suit individual taste buds- they were a huge hit!
225g self-raising flour
pinch of salt
55g butter (I used pure)
25g caster sugar
150ml rice milk (of course soya, almond milk etc would be fine also)
400g fresh strawberries
clotted or whipped vegan creme (tried to whip alpro soya single cream and had cream difficulty so ended up just buying soy whip- if anyone knows how to make vegan cream into whipped cream please tell me!)
Strawberry Jam (or jam of your choice!)
All you have to do is:
1) Preheat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas7 and lightly grease a baking sheet.
2) Mix together the flour and the salt and rub in the butter to form breadcrumbs.
3) Then stir in the sugar and add the milk bit by bit until a soft dough forms.
4) Place dough on a floured surface (dough is sticky!) and knead gently.
5) Roll out dough to about 2cm and use a 5cm cutter to shape them.
6) Use a pastry brush to lightly cover each scone with a bit of rice (or alternatives) milk.
7) Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden (cut the strawberries and prepare the cream whilst they are cooking!)
CAUTION: Always remember, jam goes on the scones before the clotted/whipped cream...I have lived in England all my life and watched the tragic mess which occurs when cream goes on before jam!
Have a great weekend everyone and let me know how your scones turn out!
|The awkward: 'We are trying to eat but have to smile' photo.|
PS: Credit due to 'Vegetarian Living' for the fabulous recipe...I recommend any vegetarians or vegans to subscribe to their magazine...it's a life saver!